The PhD in Science Education requires 85 s.h. of coursework and research. Doctoral students must complete coursework in science education, education, research methods, and an area of specialization; they must also conduct research in science education and complete a thesis.
Your academic advisor will help guide you through the requirements for degree completion.
For a complete list of requirements and courses:
Admissions and Application
- Fall semester—January 15
- Spring semester—December 1
(October 1 for international students)
- Summer session—April 15
(March 1 for international students)
Faculty will review all graduate applications for admission and assistantships—including those submitted by international students—beginning January 15. Assistantships will not be offered until late March. Applications received after January 15 will be considered only if space and funding are available.
- A bachelor’s degree from a Regionally Accredited American College or University, or an equivalent degree from another country as determined by the Office of Admissions
- Bachelor’s degree should be in a science area (or combination of science areas), science education, or a degree in elementary education with a science emphasis
- Undergraduate grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00 or better on a four-point scale
- The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) General test – verbal and quantitative - is not required.
- English Proficiency Requirements (international applicants)
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions
- The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) General test – verbal and quantitative - is not required. Official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service (the University’s institutional code is 6681)
- Official TOEFL scores may be required for some non-native speakers of English
- A statement of purpose describing their reasons for pursuing graduate work and their goals for graduate study
- An academic writing sample
- Three letters of recommendation*
* You will be asked to give the contact information of your recommenders, including their email, on your Admissions Profile. The recommender will then get an email with instructions on how to upload the recommendation letter and/or form.
Please review the required supplemental documents above before starting the general graduate application. To begin the application process, set up an account with an existing email address and password.