The MAT program is grounded in contemporary theory and research in the discipline of literary studies in English Education and is designed for students who already have an undergraduate degree in English or a related field and have taken very few, if any, undergraduate courses in education. You will receive both a master’s degree in English and certification to teach secondary English.
Your program advisor will help guide you through the requirements for degree completion.
Our Teacher Education Program provides diverse experiences with supportive mentors to effectively prepare you for your future classroom.
To learn more about classroom experiences and the Teacher Education program, please:
Admissions and Application
- Admission to the University of Iowa Graduate College
- Completion of a minimum of 30 semester hours of earned college credit before submitting your application. (Some areas have additional prerequisites.)
- Documented completion of 10‐hour Pre‐admission School Field Experience
- Transcripts from all colleges attended with evidence of courses taken and grades earned. Please upload UI grade report and transcripts from any other institutions if courses and grades do not show on UI grade report.
- Two recommendations. Ask recommendation writers to complete the recommendation form. Writers may return the completed forms to you for upload, or send the them directly to the Office of Student Services for attaching to your application. (Some areas have additional requirements.)
- An essay (doc, docx, pdf) of no more than 500 words, on the topic: Please describe on a personal and professional level why you want to be a teacher, and specifically in the particular program area to which you are applying.
- A resume (doc, docx, pdf) of paid and/or volunteer work experience, including jobs, employers and dates of employment
- A cumulative grade‐point average of 3.00 on all post‐secondary courses or on at least 12 semester hours of graduate courses is required for graduate admission. Graduate applicants with grade‐point averages below 3.00 will be considered by program faculty, who may elect to petition the Graduate College to admit applicants who demonstrate exceptional promise for graduate study and teaching.
To submit your application, go to the TK20 application portal and follow the provided directions. We recommend using Google Chrome, so please check your current browser information.
Create your account:
- Click to open the “Admissions” tab at bottom. Then click on “Click here to create your account” at very bottom. DO NOT enter “username” and “password” if this is your first visit to the site.
- Provide the required information in “Create Applicant Account” using your UI email, then click “Submit.”
After you've created your account (or signed in):
- Click on “Applications” in the left side menu.
- From the drop-down menu at top of page, select the appropriate application for your program and click “Next”
- Complete the application
- If you need to stop before your application is complete, click “Save” at the bottom of the form and then click “Close.” DO NOT SUBMIT until your application is complete.
- When the application is complete, click the green “SUBMIT” button at the bottom of the form. You cannot make any changes to the application once you SUBMIT the application.
- At least one recommendation from an English professor, preferably from the University of Iowa
- Completion of or in the process of completing the following courses:
- English Majors
- ENGL:2010:Foundations of the English Major
- ENGL:201*: Reading and Writing About … (Novel, Short Stories, Drama, Essay, Poetry)
- A course in American Lit (ENGL 24**/34**/4001/4005)
- A course in British Lit (ENGL 23**/33**/4002/4006)
- English and Creative Writing Majors
- ENGL:2010 Foundations of the English Major
- ENGL:2020 Foundations of Creative Writing
- A course in American Lit (ENGL 24**, 34**/4001/4005)
- A course in British Lit (ENGL 23**/33**/4002/4006).
- English Majors
Please review the requirements and instructions above before starting.