BA Elementary Education to MA Special Education (U2G)
The combined BA in Elementary Education and MA in Special Education is an efficient way for undergraduate students to earn a graduate degree, and complete preparation for both elementary and special education teaching, with just one additional year of study.
For more information on the undergraduate portion, visit Elementary Education. Students already admitted to the Teacher Education program and pursuing a BA in elementary education are welcome to apply in their junior year.
Upon admission to the program and during their final year of undergraduate studies students complete combined coursework of undergraduate and graduate courses. Then, students complete one additional year of graduate courses (i.e., semesters 9 and 10). Student teaching, both elementary and special education placements, is completed the final semester, semester 10.
Your academic advisor will help guide you through the requirements for degree completion.
Our Teacher Education Program provides diverse experiences with supportive mentors to effectively prepare you for your future classroom.
To learn more about classroom experiences and the Teacher Education program, please:
Admissions and Application
- Fall Semester—Suggested deadline of April 1
- Spring Semester—Suggested deadline of November 1
- University of Iowa undergraduate student enrolled in the TEP program and pursuing a B.A. in elementary education
- Completed at least 74 semester hours
- A grade-point average (GPA) of at least 3.25; however, the admissions committee will consider applications from those with a GPA below 3.25 with additional material (see Required Supplemental Materials section)
- An interview may be requested
- A statement of purpose
If GPA is below 3.25, then additional supplemental materials are required
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) General test (verbal and quantitative) combined score of at least 300 (preferred)
- Three letters of recommendation. You will be asked to give the contact information of your recommenders, including their email, on your Admissions Profile. The recommender will then get an email with instructions on how to upload the recommendation letter and/or form.
Please review the required supplemental documents above before starting the general graduate application. To begin the application process, set up an account with an existing email address and password