The K-12 Dyslexia Specialist endorsement (Iowa 1761) is available to licensed teachers with at least 3 years of teaching experience in a K-12 setting. This program is offered at the graduate level, as a non-degree program in cooperation with the Iowa Reading Research Center, preparing professionals to meet the needs of learners with dyslexia.
- Fall 2023 - Submit application requirements by February 1, 2023
- Admission to the University of Iowa as a Nondegree Graduate Student, or as a graduate student in another University of Iowa program;
- For "Purpose of attending," select "Other," and type in "Dyslexia Specialist."
- Requires submission of official transcript of bachelor's degree directly from college, university, or transcript clearinghouse to Office of Admissions <firstname.lastname@example.org> (not required for University of Iowa graduates).
- Please complete and save the Application Form, and email to: email@example.com
Also submit, together or separately:
- Transcript(s) of all college/university work not taken at the University of Iowa or included on the MyUI grade report (these can be unofficial or student-issued copies for our purposes in the College of Education);
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your knowledge or experience teaching reading and literacy;
- Experience Verification Form (or forms), or comparable documentation of at least three years of teaching experience in a K-12 setting.
Consideration of Applications
Applications for the program are selective. Admission decisions may be based on factors including the applicant's academic history, teaching experience, and goals and interest in the Dyslexia Specialist endorsement. Additional factors may include geographic distribution of unfilled Dyslexia Specialist positions in Area Education Agencies and other educational partners, and the ability of the program to offer courses and practicum placements.
The University of Iowa requests this information for the purpose of program admission consideration. No persons outside the University are provided this information.