Please use this checklist to determine whether your course syllabus includes all the information it should.
- Instructor's Name
- Instructor's Office Address
- Instructor's Office Hours and Other Contact Information
- Instructor's Telephone Number
- Instructor's Email Address
If the instructor is a teaching assistant, include information for the Course Supervisor.
- Course Supervisor's Name
- Course Supervisor's Office Address
- Course Supervisor's Office Hours
- Course Supervisor's Telephone Number
- Course Supervisor's Email Address
- Name of Department
- Location of Departmental Office
- Preferred Contact Information for the DEO
- College policy on student complaints and dispute resolution. See Student Complaint Procedures
- College policy on student academic misconduct (plagiarism and cheating). See Policy on Student Academic Misconduct
- Goals and objectives for the course
- Grading procedures, including whether plus/minus grading will be used
- Expectations for attendance, assignments, and examinations
- Policy on testing and assignments for ESL speakers, if any
- Dates and times of any exams scheduled outside of class time
- Date and time of final exam
- Schedule of topics, readings, and course materials or other description of course content
- Resources for obtaining additional help, such as tutors, teaching assistants, tutorial laboratories (if any)
- Schedule of topics to be covered (organized for each week)
- Methods of instruction (e.g., lectures, discussions, etc.)
- Textbooks and other required reading in correct bibliographical form for discipline
- Description of policies regarding informing students about sensitive or potentially disturbing information or activities
- Information specific to class (e.g., field trips, materials, fees)
- (Optional) Indigenous land acknowledgement. Please consult the resources available from the Native American Council. See Acknowledgement of Land and Sovereignty
UNIVERSITY INFORMATION: Include either a link to this page or text copied from it: https://provost.uiowa.edu/student-course-policies
The following section, quoted from a faculty syllabus, might be a helpful example as you craft your own language for inclusion in your syllabus.
Respect for Diversity: It is my intent that students from all diverse backgrounds and perspectives be well-served by this course, that students' learning needs be addressed both in and out of class, and that the diversity that students bring to this class be viewed as a resource, strength and benefit. It is my intent to present materials and activities that are respectful of diversity: gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, socioeconomic status, ethnicity, race, culture, perspective, and other background characteristics. Your suggestions about how to improve the value of diversity in this course are encouraged and appreciated. Please let me know ways to improve the effectiveness of the course for you personally or for other students or student groups.
RECOMMENDED: Statement about COVID-19.
The University of Iowa encourages students, faculty, and staff to be vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19. The university also welcomes students, faculty, and staff to wear a face mask while on campus, in classroom settings, and during in-person office hours. However, face mask usage is not required except in specified healthcare settings.
Updated August 2022