Our office is located in N158 Lindquist Center. Our mission is to work closely with College of Education students and faculty to provide our Ph.D students with the support and programming needed to not only succeed, but to stand out in a competitive market.
The College of Education offers multiple opportunities to enhance doctoral studies in addition to the world class programs and exceptional faculty who are committed to the success of each student.
The Office of Graduate Teaching Excellence was created to support graduate students as they prepare to become the next generation of faculty. The office is guided by its mission statement to be "dedicated to excellence in college teaching and the preparation of future faculty."
To compete in an increasingly competitive job market, solid research skills are not enough; doctoral students must also demonstrate a commitment to teaching. OGTE's goal is to provide students who intend to enter academia upon conferral of their degree with the tools and preparation to be effective teachers, researchers, and leaders in their respective fields.
University of Iowa Teaching Assistants who participate in the Graduate Certificate in College Teaching also enhance the quality of undergraduate education at The University of Iowa. This is an opportunity for all UI doctoral students.
The College of Education (COE) opened the Office of Graduate Teaching Excellence (OGTE) in Fall 2008 and welcomed its inaugural class in the Fall of 2009. In partnership with the COE and the Graduate College, OGTE enables all University of Iowa (UI) doctoral students to complement their home discipline’s curriculum and research training with the development of effective teaching skills and participation in specially designed professional development workshops.
OGTE provides the following services for UI doctoral students:
The Graduate Certificate in College Teaching
- Outreach, recruitment and application processing for the Graduate Certificate in College Teaching.
- Ongoing monitoring and consulting through to completion of the Graduate Certificate in College Teaching.
- Coordinate practicum in college teaching placements on and off UI campus.
- Coordinate future faculty development programming.
- Provide coursework in graduate teaching.
- Evaluate the Graduate Certificate in College Teaching, and recommend modifications when necessary.
The i-fellows program
- Coordination with other graduate student organizations to provide social events to enrich the Ph.D. experience and build a sense of community.
- Working with faculty to provide professional development opportunities focused retention, student success, and professional preparation.
- On-going consultation for members as they progress through the different phases of their Ph.D. program.
The Office also provides the following services to students which enhance programming:
- Facilitate opportunities for research examining graduate teaching excellence.
- Consult with collegiate and departmental faculties and students.