The English Education MA program is designed for experienced, practicing teachers looking to advance their professional development and advance their leadership skills.
The program is designed for students to map out a course of study that meets their professional goals and interests. Graduates go on to become department chairs, teacher leaders, supervisors of English Education, curriculum specialists, master teachers, and more.
*Students in the MA program do not receive teacher licensure.
Your program advisor will help guide you through the requirements for degree completion.
Admissions and Application
- Fall semester—July 15 (April 15 for international students)
- Spring semester—December 1 (October 1 for international students)
- Summer session—April 15 (March 1 for international students)
- A bachelor’s degree from a Regionally Accredited American College or University, or an equivalent degree from another country as determined by the Office of Admissions
- Undergraduate grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00 or better on a four-point scale
- English Proficiency Requirements (international applicants)
- Extensive coursework in English
- Two years of successful teaching experience in English or closely related area
- Create an application account to begin the application process.
- Submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive email instructions on how to establish your HawkID and password which you will use to access MyUI, our online service center for students and applicants.
- You will use your Admissions Profile on MyUI to upload required supplemental materials.
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions
- Official TOEFL scores may be required for some non-native speakers of English
- A statement of purpose
- Three letters of recommendation*
* You will be asked to give the contact information of your recommenders, including their email, on your Admissions Profile. The recommender will then get an email with instructions on how to upload the recommendation letter and/or form.
Please review the required supplemental documents above before starting the general graduate application. There is a $60 application fee for students residing in the United States. There is a $100 application fee for international applicants. To begin the general graduate application process, set up an account with an existing email address and password
Application questions can be directed to: Anne Sparks, 319-335-2146, email@example.com.
We look forward to receiving your application!