The Teacher Leader Certificate is a series of competencies and experiences offered through intensive and innovative workshops and 10 hours of volunteer work in an education setting.
While workshops blend theory and practice on various competency areas, community partnerships encourage strong classroom leadership skills, helping you better understand the context in which our schools operate. The program was developed in response to needs identified by policy leaders, faculty, school administrators, alumni, and community partners as teacher skills necessary for student success in the classroom. The certificate builds upon existing strengths, brings existing resources and experiences together to enable students to better innovate, improve, develop, and discover their identity as emerging teacher leaders.
Requirements vary depending on the TLC Certificate track you choose to pursue:
Interdisciplinary Studies (IS) Track:
- Submit your proposal form if you would like to pursue the IS Track
- Participate in at least 6 workshops of your interest
- Complete the 10 hour volunteer experience in an education setting
UI REACH Track:
- Participate in the mandatory UI REACH training workshop, plus 3 UI REACH identified workshops and 2 workshops of your interest
- Complete 10 hours of UI REACH-focused volunteer experience (preassigned)
Multilingual Learners (ML) Track:
- Participate in the 4 predefined mandatory workshops of this track and 2 workshops of your interest
- Complete 10 hours of volunteer experience with a focus on English Language Learners, preferably in an educational setting
Social-Emotional-Behavioral Mental Health (SEBMH) Track:
- Participate in the mandatory Introduction to SEBMH workshop, plus 3 SEBMH-identified workshops and 2 workshops of your interest
- Complete 10 hours of SEBMH-focused volunteer experience in the ICCSD (preassigned)
Advanced Academics and Talented Development (AATD) Track:
- Participate in the mandatory AATD Introductory Workshop, plus 3 AATD-identified workshops plus 2 workshops of your interest
- Complete 10 hours of volunteer experience with a focus on gifted and talented students, preferably in an educational setting
Dyslexia (D) Track:
- Participate in all 5 mandatory D-identified workshops plus 1 workshop of your interest
- Complete 10 hours of volunteer experience with a focus on children identified as dyslexic (language-based learning disability), preferably in an educational setting
Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts/Design, and Math (STEAM) Track:
- Participate in 6 mandatory STEAM-identified workshops (7 workshops offered). Student must attend the first and last workshops (offered multiple times throughout the semester) and choose 4 of the remaining 5 workshops of your interest
- Complete 10 hours of volunteer experience in the College of Education’s temporary educational makerspace currently being outfitted at the Kirkwood Regional Center (preassigned)
Global Opportunities (GO) Track:
- Participate in 2 GO-identified workshops plus 4 workshops of your interest
- Complete 10 hours of volunteer experience preferably in an educational setting
Be sure to visit the information page for your desired TLC Certificate track in ICON for more detailed information about your track requirements.
Workshops and volunteer hours must be completed prior to student teaching. The volunteer hours you complete for the Teacher Leader Certificate are separate from the hours you completed prior to admission into the Teacher Education Program. The hours you completed for admission do NOT count toward the completion of your Teacher Leader Certificate. The volunteer experience required for the certificate does NOT include the volunteer hours necessary prior to admission into the Teacher Education Program.
Register for a Certificate Track
You will register and track your progress through ICON. (You are only required to select one track)
You will receive an email in your UI inbox inviting you to join the site. Please email us at email@example.com if you don't receive this email or are not authorized to access this site after the second week of classes!
Register for Workshops
Visit the BTLC Events page for options. Make sure to register for the workshops online, add them to your calendar and sign the attendance list on the day of the event! This page is constantly being updated.
See available Workshops
Log Workshop Attendance
It is required that you track and document your professional development and volunteer hours within the TLCICON tracker. This helps prepare you to be successful as a practicing teacher when you will be required to track and document your professional development for the Board of Educational Examiners.
Log Attendance in ICON
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Johnson County
- 4C Home Ties Child Care Center
- African American Historical Museum and Cultural Center of Iowa (Cedar Rapids)
- The Arc of East Central Iowa
- Children's Miracle Network
- Domestic Violence Intervention Program
- Free Lunch Program
- Handicare, Inc.
- The Iowa Children's Museum
- Iowa City Free Medical & Dental Clinic
- Iowa City/Johnson County Senior Center
- Iowa City Public Library
- Iowa Valley Habitat for Humanity
- Johnson County Crisis Center
- Johnson County Soil & Water Conservation District
- Mayor's Youth Empowerment Program
- Mid-Eastern Iowa Community Health Center
- Miracles in Motion
- Neighborhood Centers of Johnson County
- Women's Resource and Action Center
Questions? Contact us.
We're here to help.