The master’s program in Mathematics Education provides students with advanced specialization in mathematics and education as a better foundation for K-12 teaching.
As the culmination of the Mathematics Education PhD program, you will complete a dissertation on a research project in mathematics education. You will work with your program advisor to determine a research project that aligns with your academic and career interests. Upon completion of the dissertation, the candidate defends the dissertation in an oral examination.
Your program advisor will help guide you through the requirements for degree completion.
For a complete list of requirements and courses, please visit the General Catalog.
Admissions and Application
- March 1 (Fall semester)
- October 1 (Spring semester)
- March 1 (Summer session)
- A bachelor’s degree in mathematics (or the equivalent) from a Regionally Accredited American College or University, or an equivalent degree from another country as determined by the Office of Admissions
- Undergraduate grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00 or better on a four-point scale
- The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) General test – verbal and quantitative - is not required.
- English Proficiency Requirements (international applicants)
- Hold a license/certificate to teach school mathematics
- Two years of teaching experience (strongly preferred)
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions
- The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) General test – verbal and quantitative - is not required. Official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service (the University’s institutional code is 6681)
- Official TOEFL scores may be required for some non-native speakers of English
- A statement of purpose
- Three letters of recommendation*
* You will be asked to give the contact information of your recommenders, including their email, on your Admissions Profile. The recommender will then get an email with instructions on how to upload the recommendation letter and/or form.
Please review the required supplemental documents above before starting the general graduate application. To begin the application process, set up an account with an existing email address and password