The Graduate Certificate in College Teaching provides the necessary coursework and supervised experiences to prepare graduate students for careers in post-secondary education.
The Certificate is available to ALL University of Iowa Ph.D., or other terminal degree, students enrolled in the Graduate College. A minimum of 12 semester hours is required for the Graduate Certificate in College Teaching.
In order to earn a Graduate Certificate in College Teaching, the course work requirements from each of the 3 Categories must be completed. A minimum of 12 semester hours is required for the Graduate Certificate in College Teaching. Previous teaching experience will not be permitted to waive any of these requirements.
Steps to Complete the Graduate Teaching Certificate
The Graduate Certificate in College Teaching is available to all University of Iowa Ph.D., or other terminal degree, students. In order to earn a Graduate Certificate in College Teaching, the course work requirements from each of the 3 Categories must be completed. A minimum of 12 semester hours is required for the Graduate Certificate in College Teaching. Previous teaching experience will not be permitted to waive any of these requirements.
It is critical to register for the program so we can best assure there will be sufficient sections and seating in the classes during the semester in which you plan to enroll.
- Fill out the online registration form (log in with your HawkID and password).
- Complete the Background Information and Plan of Study sections.
- Print the registration form page (Ctrl + P) and select “Save as PDF” for your advisor’s signature.(You can also print out hard copy for signatures.)
- Click ‘Submit’ to complete the electronic form.
- Using “fill & sign” in PDF, please get your and your academic advisor’s e-signatures. (If you printed out a hard copy, please get signatures on the hard copy.)
- Please submit the pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org. (If you printed out a hard copy, please scan the signed form and send the file to email@example.com.)
- If you have any questions, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Graduate students begin the program by taking course work on college teaching. This course work provides an overview of basic instructional issues and methods in college teaching (e.g., lecture, leading discussions, assessment) and asks for discipline-specific thinking from students as they consider their own teaching situations. (Minimum of 6 s.h. required)
At least one of the following courses must be taken:
- EDTL/EPLS/GRAD/RCE/PSQF:7385 Teaching and Learning in Higher Education 3 s.h.
- GRAD/PSQF:6217 Seminar in College Teaching 3 s.h.
- SOC:7010 Teaching Sociology 3 s.h.
- EPID:7200 Teaching in Epidemiology 3 s.h.
- PSQF:6205 Design of Instruction 3 s.h.
- RHET:5352 Seminar: Topics in Teaching and Professional Development
One of the following courses may be taken:
- JMC:5600 Teaching Media Writing, Production, and Design (must complete the series of three, 5-week, 1-credit courses to count)
- PSQF:6203 Tools & Representations in Learning 3 s.h.
- PSQF:6211 Universal Design and Accessibility for Online Learning 3 s.h.
- PSQF:6214 Design of Learning Environments 3 s.h.
- PSQF:6215 Online Instruction: Design and Facilitation 3 s.h.
- PSQF:6216 Tools and Utilities for Online Teaching 3 s.h.
- PSQF:6417 Introduction to Postsecondary STEM Teaching
- RHET:7940 Public Speaking for Academics 3 s.h.
Students are required to enroll in and complete two practicum courses (Practicum in College Teaching) under faculty supervision. Students take practicum courses under the guidance of two different professors (in College of Education or in other colleges at the University of Iowa) to be eligible for the certificate. Previous teaching assistant experience will not waive this requirement. (Minimum of 3 s.h. required) Please download practicum guidelines and instructions (word or PDF).
- When enrolling in a practicum course supervised by a College of Education faculty member:
- EDTL/EPLS/RCE/PSQF: 7380 Practicum in College Teaching (1 - 3 s.h.)
- When enrolling in a practicum course supervised by a faculty member in a college other than education:
- GRAD: 7400 Practicum in College Teaching (1 - 3 s.h.)
To further enrich your practicum experience, students are invited to meet with an educational developer to discuss their teaching plans, observations, and experiences, and explore specific strategies to improve their teaching practice. To do so, please email Dr. Sara Nasrollahian at email@example.com.
Finally, students will develop a portfolio that demonstrates their skills and competencies in teaching, research and service. The portfolio requires sample syllabi, a statement of teaching philosophy, samples of assignments and student work, and reflective essays on critical issues in teaching in higher education. A full portfolio will contain all course materials developed while teaching as a graduate student as well as outlines of scholarly presentations and service. Students are encouraged to keep samples of student work (kept with permission and made anonymous for the portfolio) that illustrate a range of responses to a particular assignment. Summaries of course evaluations and faculty evaluations, if made available to the student, also need to be included. Additionally, students should maintain a list of publications, presentations, and service done for their department of record so as to fully demonstrate their potential as future faculty.
- EALL:7475 PhD ePortfolio in College Teaching 3 s.h.
Please make sure that you did registration (Step 1) when you started the certificate course work. You need to be enrolled in the certificate program to do this completion process. If you have any questions, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following completion of these requirements:
- Download and print the Certificate of Completion
- Fill in the courses that you have completed.
- Attach an unofficial transcript.
- Obtain your advisor’s signature.
- Return the Certificate of Completion form and your unofficial transcript to the Office of Graduate Teaching Excellence.
Upon approval by the Advisory Committee of the Office of Graduate Teaching Excellence, the Graduate Certificate in College Teaching will be awarded by the Graduate College. A notation will be added to the student’s transcript at the time of certificate completion, providing an official record of the student’s accomplishments when the student seeks employment. A certificate from the Graduate College will be mailed to the student upon graduation.
Important Documents and Forms
- Online Application
- Guidelines and Registration Instructions for Practicum in College Teaching (word or PDF)
- Certificate of Completion
- Notification of Program Withdrawal
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible for the Graduate Certificate in College Teaching?
All University of Iowa Ph.D. students enrolled in the Graduate College (or students pursuing other terminal degree) are eligible.
What courses do I need to complete to obtain the Certificate?
A minimum of 12 semester hours are required. Refer to required course work for more information on individual courses.
Does prior teaching experience count for the 3 s.h. of Practicum in College Teaching?
Previous teaching experience will not waive the 3 s.h. of Practicum in College Teaching.
How long does it take to complete the course work?
Full-time students can typically complete the course work in 2 to 4 semesters.
How do I register for one or more of the courses in this program?
Print a copy of the registration form, meet with your advisor to seek his/her assistance in incorporating the coursework for the Graduate Certificate in College Teaching into your plan of study. After you've obtained your advisor's signature, you can submit your registration form to the Office of Graduate Teaching Excellence, and register for classes according to your plan of study.
How do I set up the Practicum in College Teaching?
The Practicum in College Teaching is done in conjunction with your advisor in your major department. You will need to complete two practica with two different professors. Details concerning the goals and objectives for the practicum are to be arranged with your advisor and the professor with whom you are completing the practicum.
How do I register for a Practicum in College teaching?
Check to see if your department offers a class entitled Practicum in College Teaching. If not, contact us.
What happens if I change my plan of study?
Any changes to the plan of study may be made by choosing the Plan of Study form on the program website.
What happens if I decide to withdraw from the program?
There is no penalty for withdrawing from the program. We would ask that you notify the office as soon as you know that you will not be completing the program so that we may adjust our enrollment planning projections.
What happens when I've completed all the requirements for the Graduate Certificate in College Teaching?
"Certificates must now be awarded in real-time, meaning, at the end of the semester in which you complete your last required course. During the semester in which you are completing your final requirement for the CCT, you must submit a signed Certificate of Completion and unofficial transcript (with the CCT courses highlighted) to the OGTE office or to email@example.com.