This page contains information for students of The University of Iowa who have completed a Teacher Education Program to apply for an initial teaching license. 

Licensed teachers who are adding endorsements should follow directions to add endorsements.

Students who have completed a professional service program (School Counseling, School Psychology, School Speech-Language Pathology, School Audiology, or School Social Work) should follow directions to apply for the initial professional services license (non-teachers) or to add endorsements (teachers).

Application Steps

STEP 1: Complete online application to Board of Educational Examiners (BOEE)

See NOTES below for details on completing the online application.

  • Visit the BOEE Before You Begin web page.
  • Click "I Agree" to go to the online application
  • Log in or create an account
  • Click "New Application or Renew" to start a new application.
  • Complete Checklist: Click the "Complete Checklist" button to start.
  • Pay Fees: Click the "Pay Fees" button to start.
  • Review Application: Click the "Review Application" button to start.

STEP 2: Fingerprinting

STEP 3: Submit forms to Office of Student Services

Complete the following application materials. See below for notes on completing these forms.

STEP 4: Return completed application materials from Step 3.

Due to remote working arrangements, hand-delivered and mailed documents may be delayed. Please email documents as PDF files and direct questions to:

Email documents to:
DIrect questions to: Betsy Justis (319-467-4285) or David Tingwald (319-335-5360)

Office of Student Services
The University of Iowa
N310 Lindquist Center
Iowa City, IA  52242-1529
fax: 319-335-5364


Requirements to Complete Separately

Strongly Recommended to Apply

You are strongly encouraged to apply for an Iowa teaching license upon completion of your program, even if you don't intend to teach in Iowa. Application for this license validates completion of our current University of Iowa approved program. The program you have just completed is currently on file and approved by the Iowa Department of Education.

Apply as soon as you are eligible. As programs or licensure requirements change, you will eventually become ineligible for the initial Iowa license. It is much easier to renew than to meet a new set of program requirements. It is not usually necessary to renew this license unless you are teaching in this State. Holding an Iowa license is frequently beneficial when making application for licensure in another state.

Other States

If you also plan to apply for a teaching license in another state, visit Iowa Graduates Applying for Licensure in Other States.

Notes on completing forms

Online Application for Licensure

  • Web Browser: Parts of the online application may not work with all web browsers. If you get a message that your browser is not supported, please try a different browser (Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Safari).
  • Click "New Application or Renew" to start a new application.
    • Please select the type of application you would like to begin: Select "Apply for a new license"
    • Please Select the Professional Area in which you are applying: In the drop-down menu, select "Teacher"
    • Please Select Application: In the drop-down menu, select "First Iowa Teaching, Counseling, or Class G license (Iowa Institution)
    • You are About to Create the Following Application: Application: First Iowa Teaching, Counseling, or Class G license (Iowa Institution): "Continue" should be selected; click "Next," then "Finish" to go on to the next part of the application.
  • Complete Checklist: Click the "Complete Checklist" button to start.
    • Screening and Criminal History: Answer questions, and provide explanations as required. "When in doubt, disclose." Upload supporting documents as required.
    • Eligibility and Background
      See Fingerprinting options. From the drop-down menu, select Please mail me a fingerprint packet.
  • Pay Fees: Click the "Pay Fees" button to start. For most applicants, total fees should be $163.00, consisting of $85.00 for the license application, $75.00 for the background check, and a $3.00 "convenience fee." For applicants who do not need a background check, the total fee will be $88.00. There is no additional fee for additional endorsements; all endorsements awarded with the initial license are included with the $163.00 or $88.00 fee.
  • Review Application: Click the "Review Application" button to start. In the drop-down menu, select "University of Iowa." "Applicant comments for signer": You can use this field to tell The University of Iowa's recommending official the endorsements for which you are applying. Do not change the default email address that begins "edu-recomm..". Click "Finish" to submit the application.

Fingerprint Cards

Program Checklist

  • Use this form to tell Office of Student Services staff which endorsements you think you are getting
  • When in doubt, include endorsements you aren't sure about

Record of Field Experiences

  • This form serves as a summary for your permanent College of Education record, which may be helpful for future licensure applications.
  • Complete the "Field Experiences template document" provided above

Updated: 12/04/2019