The university's English proficiency requirements vary depending on the degree program to which you are applying.

Most graduate degree programs are offered through the Graduate College. Refer to the specific degree program's web page to verify any English proficiency requirements specific to that program.

Requirements for Teaching Assistants

All graduate students with teaching assistantships at Iowa are required to complete the English Speaking Proficiency Assessment (ESPA) to assess their command of spoken English. Students who perform at an acceptable level on the ESPA are required to take the English Language Performance Test (ELPT), in which a presentation is made to an audience.

The ESPA and ELPT are separate from the English Proficiency Evaluation, which also may be required. Affected students will receive more information about these exams from their academic department. Research assistants are not required to take these tests.

Financial Statement Requirement for International Students

If accepted, international applicants who expect to hold F-1 or J-1 visa status must submit evidence of adequate financial support to cover the costs of one full year of study at the University of Iowa before a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20A-B or DS-2019) will be issued.

Graduate Research or Teaching Assistantships may be used to satisfy the financial requirement. Students with dependents must include additional financial support for any dependents who accompany them to the United States.